After majoring in vocal performance in college, Don worked for a number of years as a broadcast engineer in Pensacola and Birmingham. He moved to Nashville in 1974 to work in the recording industry, and in January 1975 was hired by David Harrison as a field service engineer with Studio Supply Company
In 1976 Don became technical director of Audio Consultants, Inc., a full service recording studio design and professional equipment supplier, primarily as the exclusive Southeast representative of MCI consoles and multitrack tape recorders. Don later relocated to Dallas to expand their sales territory into the Southwest.
In 1981, Don switched gears and entered the newly emerging world of personal computing, and for 30 years built his career consulting small and medium sized businesses in the manufacturing, wholesale distribution and professional accounting markets.
Don holds certifications from IBM (in UNIX and Networking technologies), AT&T (UNIX and Wide Area Network implementation), Red Hat Linux (as the first Red Hat Certified Engineer in Tennessee) and Microsoft.
Don has an unusual talent for designing and developing
innovative products to meet specialized client needs. His achievements have
included the following:
- A networked professional time and billing system for regional multi-office CPA firms in North Carolina (this was done in 1987 before the advent of readily available Internet connections)
- A usage metering and billing application for the then-largest Internet Service Provider in Tennessee (in 1993)
- A fully integrated mobile sales and service application for Direct Store Delivery companies
- EDI integration for a major sports equipment manufacturer and distributor
- Other custom projects involving job cost, inventory control, mobile management, and accounting solutions for various small businesses across the Southeast
He also held the position of Director of Information Systems for a $40M pharmacy company, overhauling their entire network infrastructure and integrating several UNIX, AIX and Microsoft-based line-of-business applications from their multiple divisions.
In 2012 Don developed the Timberlane DMR, a digital multi-channel recorder specifically designed to record hundreds of audio tracks for up to 24 consecutive hours, without error and completely time-aligned with all source material for use in a broadcast facility or Out Bound truck.
With the advent of Audio Over IP technologies changing the landscape of professional audio content creation and device interoperability, Don brings his considerable experience and creative expertise to the task of incorporating these innovations into the realm of high-end recording and post-production.